Tuesday, November 25, 2008

She's Here About The Reaping...

Ah yes, I've been expecting you. That ugly thing called The Feminist (cringe) has decided to rear her ugly head (no pun intended). Women I know some of you may not like this one, but hey, start a blog and chew me a new one. For now, hop aboard THE TRAIN TO MIDNIGHT and stow away in the mind of the conductor. Next Stop: Feministville. Scarier than any horror movie to date and possibly any that will ever be made is the infamous Unsure Feminist. WHAT DO YOU WANT!?! Pardon my outburst passengers. I'll toss some more logs in and cool the engine down. I find it funny when a woman calls herself a feminist when she has no real understanding of the word. I've been "attacked" by so-called feminist on numerous occasions, but when questioned about the motives behind being a feminist the response was usually one of bewilderment, blank stares, and a whole lot of umms and eerrss. I have no problem with feminist, but if and only if she understands the true motives behind feminism. This might be funny coming from a male, but shouldn't the object of feminism be for a woman to achieve equality? It makes no sense for feminist to claim to be better than men. I feel, personally, that by claiming that you're better than a man, you're essentially lowering yourself to the level of that which you strive to overcome. In no way am I trying to regulate how feminist govern themselves (as I'm sure that a man governing feminist defeats the purpose of feminism), but I am asking for those pretentious feminist that only want to claim something and choose sex as their weapon of choice, to examine the feminist teachings and be, really be, who they say they are in truth. Just like any other movement, misrepresentations on any level, kills the purpose at all levels. Hold on folks. Ha, looks like we've approached the town limits for Feministville. Hey, that wasn't so bad was it passengers? We've successfully passed through Feministville. Well, on to the next stop I say. This freight has words to type, films to show, and ghouls to awaken. Good fright and all aboard The Train To Midnight.

2 comments:

starry08 said...

Bell Hooks, the author of Feminism is for Everybody stated, "Feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression." Just because women have a vagina does not necessarily mean that they are a feminist. Feminisim as the title of the book says is really for everyone and not an exclusionary effort. Notice that equality is not in the definition. The ultimate goal is for women to be able to enjoy similar opportunities that men would. It is not to say that women are better than men. Feminist appreciate the roles that men and women play in life. They happen to see things from the perspective of a woman.

Tristan said...

First, the picture, not only does it creep me out, but that is a harsh representation of Feminism.

I don't think that any feminist should believe she/he is better than a "non-feminist." And honestly, I don't really believe anyone couldn't be a feminist. There are so many degrees of feminism, I find it impossible for someone not to fall into one of those degrees.

The Unsure Feminist, I know thee well. It's difficult to explain, but it is very simple to be an unsure feminist (in this case a woman feminist, not sure about men). If a woman has been living in a culture that has been dictating a way of life and expectations for years, when that woman is introduced to the ways of feminism and the beliefs of feminism, it can easily be confusing. The woman has to begin to contradict many, many things they have become accustomed to, and changing isn't always easy. Meeting the expecations of friends and family who find feminism to be a radical movement that is nothing but trouble, can be distressing. Finding a balance between your beliefs and modeling your own feminism can be a chore that takes some time.

Although Bell Hooks' definition does not include equality, over time the movement has changed to fit the people. In this day and age, women do desire to have equal opportunities and life situations as men. I'm confused by the previous comment when they say that feminists enjoy the roles men and women play in life. It depends on what roles you speak of, because often times roles are what I run from. As a feminist, and woman, I find that the roles in my supposed future are not what I am striving for as an individual. Assigning gender roles, in my opinion can be dangerous and stereotypical.

Enough of my rambles.