Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"For the dead travel fast"


Good night guys and ghouls. I had to open with the infamous line from "Tales from the Crypt." So, I have good news and I have semi-bad news. Let's start with the bad news. As I stated in my post yesterday, I'd been having some trouble transporting the video for the Hip Hop Aids Fashion show from my computer onto a dvd. The footage kept glitching around 8 minutes. Sadly enough, I had to "kill my darlings." Shout out to Berger for blogging about what the line means. I'll give the simplified version. "Cut the fluff." The only sad thing was that the "fluff" that I cut wasn't fluff at all, they were two good bites I used from interviews. The dvd burned successfully after I cut the two bites though. I switched around a couple of the interviews to increase the fluidity. I can honestly say that I'm satisfied with the final product. I sprinkled some tear jerker music throughout the video to increase the level of intimacy with the audience. We'll see what happens on D-Day (aka Friday) though.

The good news is I've FINALLY been able to get back to work on my short film "The Dead Pass Swiftly." After a two week hiatus, I'm back :) I'm super excited about the project. Even though I've been away for two weeks, I'm bringing even more knowledge about film and editing to the table. I'm confident that this will only make the film that much stronger and thus more potent. For the next month or so, I'll be in my lair (aka The Studio) editing. I'm excited to see the finished product. I got a guy named Dave Brown that works here at the college helping me with the audio. He'll be helping me fix some of those annoying hisses that sometimes accomodate video when using an external mic. He'll also be helping me score the film. The film has an urban feel, but I've gotten into jazz as of late, specificall John Coltrane. I'll try to find some way to combine both the urbanity (if that's a word) and a more soulful (jazz) feel for the music. I really want people to fully emerse themselves into the film. After all, that's the hope for all filmmakers. That for a second, maybe a brief moment, that the spectator forgets themselves in the physical only to be reawoken on the screen. Excitement baby!

I've put together two scenes so far. I have to tighten up the scenes that I've edited and link them into the sequence that I've begun to form. It's a really time consuming process, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's my passion. Looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil yet again tonight. A small sacrifice in the greater scheme of pushing my art forward, peace.

No comments: