Tuesday, April 28, 2009

God and Society

Hey peeps. Hope all is well within your realm of living (or existing). I was watching a video on Youtube earlier today (My Life by The Game ft. Lil' Wayne) and the images in the video really struck a chord in me. In particular, the image of the Angel tombstone in the scenes where Game and Wayne are at the cemetery. I'm not going to do a summary of the video, but I'll post it at the end of this note for those that would like to have a visual reference point to go on. To be honest, I'm not 100% positive where I'm going with this, but I ask that you all please keep an open mind and a willingness to understand my thought process. Walk with me.

God and Society. The two seem to coexist right? After all, in essence, God is society. Without Him, there is no society because society is made up of the individual and the individual is God manifested in flesh and blood. But why...why has society been operating without the God which created it. I say this because we as humans have done what we are prone to do; taken God and molded him to fit our own personal situations. The depiction of the Angel in the cemetery is one telling sign of this. Folks, it is imperative that you remember that the earth, in its' current state, is not God's kingdom. Yes, America, "In God We Trust," but this is not His kingdom. It belongs to Satan.

"But woe to you, O earth and sea, for the devil has come down to you in great wrath, because he knows that his time is short!" (Revelation 12:12 RSV)

"And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled only to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the likeness of God." (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 RSV)

I've included these two scriptures as points of reference to help you better understand what I'm saying. Read your Bible for further information. What I'm saying is that in the video "My Life" the hate, death, and life of turmoil they experience has not been brought upon them and their people by God, but themselves. Lil Wayne's line "Dear Lord you done took so many of my people, I'm just wondering why you haven't taken my life," is false. False because he's not asking the right god that question. God has not taken anyone away through crime. They've cut themselves off. The wages of sin is death, period. Everything has a consequence. It's the natural order of things. You can't do wrong and hope to receive good. The reason I'm approaching this issue is because I operate within the realm of media and I fully understand the influence it has on its' consumers. People in ghettos, slums, projects, and neighborhoods everywhere that have heard this song has probably uttered the same words "Dear Lord you done took so many of my people, I'm just wondering why you haven't taken my life." They have become jaded into thinking that God is the source of their problems. God is not death, but He understands, as should you, that death is necessary to return to Him. But His gift to you through death is eternal life, but what He does not want for you to do is struggle while living on earth (which in all respects is a veritable hell). Problem is, we have gotten so caught up in the "struggle" and hustling and our neverending pursuit for the dollar that we have forgotten the scriptures:

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: For they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they? Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

"And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin. And yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: For the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Matthew 6:24-34

We've forgotten that Jesus spoke in parables or stories so we could relate to what he was saying. He saw the troubles we would experience before we knew earth and answered our questions before we thought of them. But, we have allowed popular culture to tell us what we want and what we should have in order to coexist with the rest of society. We have become a consumer people and when we can't have what we want we blame God. But when we get what we want, we thank Satan. "Is not the body more than raiment?" When you leave this earth what will be your legacy? I read on Brittany Ashley's blog (who, may I add, is an up and coming writer to be reckoned with) the words, "Do not let the universe regret you." Enough said.

God and what He represents is no longer apart of this world. God and Society, for now, are two separate entities. The people are to blame. Society is made up of the individual. The individual shapes society. The society decides the media. The media tells the consumer...you get the picture. It's a never ending cycle. To bring my argument back to center, the images in the video "My Life" though rather powerful, are false in the context in which they are used and because of this, they are falsely shaping the minds of the youth and adults alike. It'd be good to learn to decipher images for yourselves. It helps one determine what is being falsely represented and it helps one educate those around them about the falsehoods. This could lead people to stop falsely blaming and claiming God.

To everyone who walked with me, thanks. Take my message in stride and learn from it, that's all I ask. If you would like to respond in a note of your own, I encourage it. Tag me please. I think this is an important issue that I'll be dealing with in upcoming films and articles in the present and future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mFQdXFfnb0&feature=channel_page

Don't strive to live in the moment, strive to live in history,
Antonio

No comments: